msvcrt-A06: _popen + COMSPEC

Jaco Greeff jaco at puxedo.org
Sun Nov 3 14:11:52 CST 2002

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:53:15 -0500, "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote :
> But the question is whether or not CreateProcess _should_ find it, or not.
> If it is, than it's a bug in CreateProcess, and working around it is rather
> detrimental. If not, than fine, use the full path. We should always try
> to fix the bug at the source, not to invent workarounds.

Agreed, if a know bug exists it needs to be fixed. I was in a rush when
replying to your initial request for clarification, so I didn't express it
properly. I however, did look at what the correct behaviour of CreateProcess
should be when I came across this. According to MSDN:

"The string can specify the full path and file name of the module to execute
or it can specify a partial name. In the case of a partial name, the
function uses the current drive and current directory to complete the
specification. The function will not use the search path. If the file name
does not contain an extension, .exe is assumed. Therefore, if the file name
extension is .com, this parameter must include the .com extension."

So no, I didn't try to create workarounds. As I've said, it is something
that bugged me as well. :)

Greetings,
Jaco