RFC: rpcss skeleton prototype #2

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Nov 4 15:44:45 CST 2002

Greg Turner <gmturner007 at ameritech.net> writes:

> Cool.  I assumed I wasn't allowed to -- I'd love to use them, I'll give
> it a shot after work.  I presume, then, that I acheive this by just
> pretending I'm a DLL, and following the same patterns that abound
> elsewhere?

Yes; the only difference is that in Winelib apps you need to prefix
them with WINE_, so use WINE_TRACE instead of TRACE etc.

> ATM that's largely correct, except it should also support a "daemon"
> mode ("/s" command-line argument).  For local RPC's, the "lazy" (from
> rpcrt4.dll) invocation method will be enough.  But -- to be a "real,"
> fully functional RPC server, we will need it running in "server" mode.
> Otherwise, networked RPC's, from without, will always fail, finding no
> endpoint mapper or name service to converse with at the local host.

Ultimately we may need something like this yes, but I would suggest
not worrying about it for now. Debugging will be a lot easier if the
app doesn't go into the background, even in daemon mode. And then we
may want to add support somewhere so that you can do a real Unix
daemon (with fork, setsid, etc.), so it's not clear that your
CreateProcess hack will be needed even for the final implementation.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com