docbook (was: Re: ComputerName)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Thu Nov 7 11:23:36 CST 2002

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> I don't mean to argue (this is a subjective opinion),
> but I am curious (knowing that you typically have
> valid reasoning behind your opinions :)) why you would
> think troff 'is better'. It's maybe simpler in the
> sense that it does not require new tools, etc., but
> better as a markup language?

Clearly the tools are an advantage, but I also think the markup syntax
is better. Troff is not really that good, texinfo is better IMO; but
with both you have a reasonable chance to read the document in source
format, by simply skipping over some markup bits here and there. With
SGML the markup is so intrusive that I find it impossible to skip over
it and read the text, especially since the markup itself looks like
text instead of looking like line noise.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com