Making documentation - was RE: Docu updates question..

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Sat Nov 9 22:09:21 CST 2002

On Saturday 09 November 2002 09:09 pm, Tony Lambregts wrote:
> OK do you think you could provide an adequate description of what is
> required to build the documnetation on gentoo so we can inlude it in
> the documentation? Preaty Please?

First, for your joe-blow end-user type, they did this for you.  they
call it "wine-doc".  You just type "emerge wine-doc" and you have a
nice pretty wine-doc build... er, I think (haven't done it for a
while).

Second, if you are trying to do it by hand, ATM you just become root,
and run "cd /usr/bin; ln -s docbook2html db2html" and it'll work, (at
least, "cd /path/to/wine/source/documentation; make html" will work;
pdf building doesn't work for me and I haven't looked into the problem,
but "make everything" fails as a result, even if the db2pdf link
exists.)

Here is the wine-doc script which gentoo users will find at
/usr/portage/app-doc/wine-doc/wine-doc-20020710.ebuild:

<========================
# Copyright 1999-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header:
/home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/app-doc/wine-doc/wine-doc-20020710.ebuild,v
1.3 2002/11/08 10:57:24 hanno Exp $

S=${WORKDIR}/wine-$PV
DESCRIPTION="Wine is a free implementation of Windows on Unix."
SRC_URI="ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-${PV}.tar.gz"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.winehq.com/"
LICENSE="LGPL-2.1"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="x86"
IUSE="opengl"

DEPEND="sys-apps/tar sys-apps/gzip"

src_compile() {
        cd ${S}
        local myconf

        use opengl && myconf="--enable-opengl" ||
myconf="--disable-opengl"
        [ -z $DEBUG ] && myconf="$myconf --disable-trace
--disable-debug" || myconf="$myconf --enable-trace --enable-debug"
        # there's no configure flag for cups, it's supposed to be
autodetected

        # the folks at #winehq were really angry about custom
optimization
        export CFLAGS=""
        export CXXFLAGS=""

        ./configure --prefix=/usr \
        --exec_prefix=/usr/wine \
        --sysconfdir=/etc/wine \
        --mandir=/usr/share/man \
        --host=${CHOST} \
        --enable-curses \
        ${myconf} || die

        cd ${S}/programs/winetest
        cp Makefile 1
        sed -e 's:wine.pm:include/wine.pm:' 1 > Makefile

        cd ${S}
        make manpages || die

}

src_install () {

        cd ${S}/documentation
        DESTTREE=/usr/wine doman man3w/*
        # sgml was being filtered without -a sgml
        dohtml -a sgml *.sgml

        insinto /etc/env.d
        doins ${FILESDIR}/80wine-doc
}
=========================>

beware, that is cut-and-pasted and it probably wrapped.  I think the
comment about optimization is kind of funny btw.

I don't know why they do all of that; probably some of it is
cut-and-pasted from the wine scripts.

Anyhoo, I wonder if the impetus for separating out wine and wine-doc had
anything to do with the db2html vs docbook2html problem?  Most packages
don't separate out the doc from the rest of the package like this.

It's particularly lame that they put the man pages in there.  I remember
when I first started playing with wine on gentoo, I did "emerge wine"
and was pissed to find that no man pages came with it (later I found
out about "emerge wine-doc" and was happy again).  At the very least,
they should have made a conditional dependency between the "wine" and
"wine-doc" ebuilds if the "doc" USE flag is set.

Maybe after I get rpcss working I'll take a look at the possibility of
fixing up gentoo's wine scripts a bit.  I'm not very skilled at hacking
on ebuilds (my shell scripting abilities kind of suck), but I've been
able to accomplish a few things from time to time, and I get the
impression they are pretty inclusive about letting the unwashed masses
contribute.

--
gmt

Do you frequently think "there ought to be a law..."?
Afraid that people you /don't like/ have too much FREEDOM?
Concerned about the unequal powers of the EVIL RICH?
Think the government could solve your neighbor's problems?

You aren't the first.

  http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html