RFC: last chance for comments on RPCSS

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 11 13:27:36 CST 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 02:29 am, David Fraser wrote:
> Just to verify, I tried running the interop sample and it works fine
> locally.

Great!  glad to hear this works for more than just me :)

> Doesn't work between Linux and a Windows machine
> (Linuz client sends
> messages locally, client on Windows machine returns exception)

Not sure if this is what you've encountered, but there is a shortcoming
of the current implementation: the client-side API's report success
even when they fail.

> but I guess that's because of the transport limitation?

The transport limitation, yes, but it's a far more profound problem than
just that.  Eliminate the transport limitation (which might be fairly
easy to do by fixing some bugs), and much deeper problems will rear
their ugly heads:

o endpoint mapping isn't implemented correctly.  Thus, your windows
  box will query your linux box (or the other way around), and find
  itself unable to locate the right RPC service.  This problem won't go
  away until the rpcss_kludge_{client,server}.c units go away and are
  replaced by standards-compliant RPC-based services.

o Even once that is done, we are left with the open issues regarding
  listening on priveleged ports, running as root, and fighting with
  SAMBA or DCERPC for control of the RPC name- and
  endpoint-mapping-serviecs, as have been recently discussed on
  wine-devel.  Fixing this may require some collaboration with the Samba
  team, or some other creative solution.  It's a sufficiently distant,
  and hairy, problem that I've been ignoring it, although I still mean
  to make some attempt to communicate with the Samba folks to let them
  know whats going on over here in wine country in the short term.

--
gmt

Do you frequently think "there ought to be a law..."?
Afraid that people you /don't like/ have too much FREEDOM?
Concerned about the unequal powers of the EVIL RICH?
Think the government could solve your neighbor's problems?

You aren't the first.

  http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html