Resend: implement _ismbcalpha, _ismbcalnum

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Tue Nov 12 22:42:27 CST 2002

"Greg Turner" <gmturner007 at ameritech.net> wrote:

> > It's better to create a correct multibyte character pair and call
> > GetStringType then.
>
> you mean this beast?
>
> BOOL GetStringTypeW(
>   DWORD dwInfoType,  // information-type options
>   LPCWSTR lpSrcStr,  // source string
>   int cchSrc,        // number of characters in string
>   LPWORD lpCharType  // output buffer
> );
>
> You are probably far better informed on these issues than I, but this
> seems slightly excessive to me -- or, perhaps I'm suffering from sour
> grapes syndrome, since I'm somewhat out of my element here (I seem to
> be saying that a lot lately don't I?  When, I wonder, will I start to
> feel that I am /in/ my element?? (Probably not until wine is written in
> Kylix ... man, that's embarassing!!))
>
> My patch was intended to be a clone of the similar implementations I saw
> in the same unit, not a full implementation.
>
> But... since I seem to be volunteering to implement the function, I
> guess I should do it right...
>
> So, on second thought, merged or no, I'll try to whip up a better
> version of _ismbc* and maybe, if I'm feeling especially cool, some
> others in the vicinity, using GetStringType as you reccomend.

try something like this (completely not tested):

int _ismbcalpha(unsigned int ch)
{
    char mbch[2];
    WCHAR chW;
    WORD ctype;

    mbch[0] = ch & 0xff;
    mbch[1] = (ch >> 8) & 0xff;
    MultiByteToWideChar(CP_ACP, 0, mbch, 2, &chW, 1);
    GetStringTypeW(CT_CTYPE1, &chW, 1, &ctype);
    return (ctype & C1_ALPHA) != 0;
}

I'm not sure whether mbch[0] and mbch[1] should be actually swapped, in the
case if multibyte character was passed in.

--
Dmitry.