C++ tests (1/2)

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Thu Nov 14 18:34:54 CST 2002

> Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:
>
> > In the case of generated.c it is very useful since
> > alignment and that sort of thing might pontially be different
> > with C++. For other normal tests I'm not sure how useful
> > it is to tests with C++ as well. It can't hurt of course
> > but then it takes twice as long to run...
>
> I don't see what this buys us at all. If the C++ compiler generates
> different structure layouts from the same headers then it is broken,
> but that's not really a Wine problem.

First of all it was just an example what it could be used for.
It is the only thing that winapi_test (tests/generated.c) currently
tests for. However, there will be more tests in the future testing
for other things that might or might not be C++ dependent.

Secondly the test makes certain that you don't have a
#ifdef __cplusplus affecting some structure by mistake.

And yes, there are structure like that MONITORINFO that does.
And no, don't look in the Wine source, it doesn't implement
it yet.

Then we could have #ifdef __cplusplus that have
an "missing" #endif that matches some other #endif
in the wrong place or something.

We also have the COM interfaces that are different in C++...

Then of course we want normal C++ tests as well. Many (most?)
applications likely to be ported by Winelib are C++ application
so we really should have tests for possible C++ problems.

But it you don't like the .c.cxx hack I could generate C++
tests to a generated_cxx.cxx or whatever then we don't need
that part of the patch. It is a little ugly I admit. :-)