Wine with .NET?

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Sun Nov 17 13:11:12 CST 2002

On Sunday 17 November 2002 12:21 pm, Mark Hannessen wrote:
> > Ladies and Gentlemen,
> >
> > I am a Microsoft developer and currently pushing the capabilities
> > of the .NET Framework.  On that same note, I am considering moving
> > my laptop to some version of Linux (either Solaris v8.0 or Red

Sorry to be pedantic, but Solaris is not Linux.  They both belong to the
same branch of the Unix family tree (SVR4), but they are distant
cousins, at best (sufficiently distant to have children together :) )

Wine supports both platforms, if I understand the current state of
affairs correctly.  You will probably need gcc to make wine work on
Solaris -- I doubt Sun cc is going to cut it (I could be wrong).

> > Hat).  I assumed that I would need to use VMWare or some equivalent
> > to continue using Visual Studio .NET.  Can anyone give me some
> > advice?

I'm glad to hear that you prefer wine to VMWare: this is the correct
order of preference :)  Unfortunately, VMWare may be your best bet at
this time, if you plan to achieve productivity on VS.NET under linux
anytime soon (see below).

> > Many thanx,
> > Fred Lackey
> > Orlando, Florida
>
> have you already tryd wine to run visual studio .NET ?
> in theory it is possible but i don't think anyone has ever tryd.
> ( and it will likely not work yet, feel free to send patches )

I would not expect much .NET stuff to work on wine.  We do not have an
MSIL interpreter, and our loader doesn't support the new .NET
executable conventions (whatever they are -- I don't know, but I am
told that there are some).  We also lack any implementation of the CLR,
and I'm not sure we even have IE6 working yet (?).

Assuming, as many are, that .NET will actually catch on, wine will
probably start to worry about this stuff sooner or later.  But, so far,
we seem to have our hands full just trying to catch up with the Windows
"DNA" platform.

Of course, as Mark suggests, if you want to help enhance wine to provide
.NET support, you may.  I just took a peek at their site: the Mono
libraries are LGPL-licensed, and the Mono class libraries are
MIT/X11-licensed, so from a licensing perspective, utilizing Mono to
achieve .NET Framework capabilities under wine seems quite viable.

.exe's you build under VC++.NET as native executables will probably work
under wine (I have seen examples of this).

> if you want to port visual studio .NET to linux using wine you
> should use winemaker.

Somehow, I am inclined to presume that there is a misunderstanding
between yourself and Mark regarding what you mean by "Microsoft
developer"?

--
gmt

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things;
the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic
feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much
worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing
to fight; nothing he cares about more than his own
personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no
chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the
exertions of better persons than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill