Wine with .NET?

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Mon Nov 18 03:14:30 CST 2002

        My ultimate goal is to scrap my Windows XP Pro laptop and
        install Red Hat v8.0 using Wine for those things that I might
        need to run from a Windows world.

OK, Wine will let you do that to some extent. If you want IE6 and Office
2000 right now it might be a good idea to get CrossOver Office, I tried
several times to get IE working from WineHQ builds and never succeeded,
but it worked first time with CrossOver. It's a time/effort thing.

As for VS.NET on wine, that's highly unlikely at the moment. I don't
know if VS.NET is actually written in .NET or not, but either which way
Windows compatability on Linux isn't advanced enough yet.

Bear in mind though that you can still develop for .NET on Linux by
using Mono. They have a working C# compiler which spits out ECMA
standard .net executables, quite a complete class library and they are
busy getting System.Windows.Forms to work with Winelib. Alternatives to
Visual Studio include SharpDevelop (doubt that would compile under Mono
though) or simply using the native Linux apps such as emacs (i
personally write all my code in xemacs) and using the command line. It
sounds primitive, in reality it's far from it.

        To be completely honest, I knew I was pushing when I asked for
        the Visual Studio IDE to run with Wine, however, that just goes
        to show how serious I am to scrap my dependency on the M$
        products as a whole.  And, even if it DID work, I would still
        need a clean Win32 OS running somewhere to be able to compile
        and package any applications.

Hmm, so you want to scrap your dependancy on Microsoft products but
still use .NET, Visual Studio and still write Windows apps? ;)

        Is there a list of applications that people have successfully
        installed and how they did it?

Yes, at appdb.winehq.org

Again, for Office 2000 and IE you'll for now be best advised imho to use
CrossOver. It makes it much easier. I've personally got IE and WinZip
working fine, Trillian kind of works but has several problems related to
its bizarre window management. Bear in mind that if you're serious about
dropping MS dependancies then you need to look into native apps, for
instance Mozilla, FileRoller and Gaim would be close equivalents to
those three. Using MS and Windows products on Linux isn't going to be a
100% happy experience right now.

thanks -mike