Dual boot solves everything?

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Mon Nov 18 10:45:15 CST 2002

Fredrick P. Lackey a écrit:
> Gentlemen,
>
> First of all, thanks to everyone with your input so far.  I've now been
> able to get IE v6.0 up and running as well as a few other less important
> applications.  Which brings me to a few more questions…
>
> 1. Since it is possible to use native DLLs with applications, can one
> assume that on a dual boot machine with Win98 SE2 and Red Hat v8.0 that
> it would only be necessary to install the desired application under
> Windows, then add native DLLs to the Wine config file to get [almost]
> *any* Windows application to function?

(Long time since I tried that, but...) You'll also need to point your
registry files to use the Windows ones, else the applications won't work
much. And I'm pretty sure the majority of developpers around here try to
use Wine without a Windows installation, but I understand why you'd want
to do otherwise.

And concerning the native dlls... some won't work in combination with
some builtin dlls, as they call unimplemented APIs. That's part of the
whole dll separation issue.

> 2. Each time I launch a program, a black window appears that seems to
> make up the "shell" (for lack of a better term) for that instance of the
> application.  This window is always somewhere around 800x600 pixels.  Is
> there any way to not show this window and/or get the size to be
> something else?  I am running in 1600x1200 resolution and only using
> half of the screen is frustrating.

Sounds like you use "desktop" mode, but I could be mistaken. The only
time that happens to me is when I use a fullscreen game, then get back
to X: the game will be in the upper-left corner.

> 3. Is there an easy way within Linux/Wine to determine what native DLLs
> the application should/could use?

Experience, and experiments.

Vincent