windres vs. wrc

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon Nov 18 23:28:31 CST 2002

On November 17, 2002 11:56 pm, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> 1. it knows nothing about unicode and therefore can't correctly compile
>    resources with languages apart from English.

Putty is using Unicode with windres, so I guess this is fixed.

> 2. at least an year ago it generated wrongly aligned RCDATA sections,
>    which affects all winmm resources in Wine

Doesn't sound like a big thing to implement, no?

> 3. it can't compile 16-bit resources, which is a critical feature for Wine.

Hm, this may be tough to support in windres, as there are no users for this.

> .res -> .o conversion (which windres is able to do) is very valueable
> for all Windows based projects. WRC is not able to do it.

I was thinking maybe we can add it in... Maybe a simple hack, such as
calling as internally.

> WRC was made to be somewhat compatible with Microsoft resource compiler
> in using command line switches. That's not the case for windres.

Which is cool. But windres support long options, and maybe we can add
a compatible set too, so we can have a single target in makefiles:

%.o : %.rc

This way, people can add tests to their configure scripts to just use
wrc or windres, depending on availability.

What do people think?

--
Dimi.