msvcrt vs std incl

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Tue Nov 19 11:55:59 CST 2002

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 09:58 am, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On November 19, 2002 10:57 am, Vincent Béron wrote:
> > Quickly checking in MS's headers (an old version), there's a lot of
> > typedef to define wchar_t.
>
> I figured that much. I was hoping for a patch... :)

The wine headers are very interesting to me right now.  I guess we need
to do something like

  #if (some hairy condition)
  typedef WCHAR wchar_t
  #endif

in the appropriate place (I guess, stddef.h)?

It would be helpful to me (not just for this problem, which I don't
intend to try and solve) to get a clear picture of all usage scenarios
that the wine headers are supposed to support...  Obviously there are

  o compile wine under unix-like platforms, excluding cygwin
  o compile a c winelib app for unix-like platforms, excluding cygwin

but what else?  in particular, should we worry about any of these?

  o compile wine for cygwin
  o compile winelib app under cygwin
  o compile wine under msvc
  o compile winelib app under msvc
  o be a replacement for a standard unix header (native compile)
  o be a replacement for an msvc header (native compile)
  o something else I didn't think of
  o c++ support combined with any of the above

I also get the impression that the same list of usage scenarios doesn't
apply to all headers (for example, there was recent discussion about
three categories of headers and include/wine/wine).

It would be good if somebody who knows this stuff could specify this,
somewhere, so that clueless folks like myself don't create unneccesary
complexity trying to support usage scenarios that should never occur.

Actually, I have similar questions about the programs and dlls trees of
wine... for example, Alexandre has requested that I remove #ifdef's
from rpcss... but can I safely code against the assumption that
defined(NO_NAMELESS_STRUCT)?  The answer (or, more precisely, the
ability to answer for myself without bothering you all about it) lies
in knowing what the "officially" supported usage scenarios for the
rpcss code are... but I'm not sure I do.

--
gmt

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things;
the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic
feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much
worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing
to fight; nothing he cares about more than his own
personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no
chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the
exertions of better persons than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill