Win32s cleanups

Jukka Heinonen jhei at iki.fi
Tue Nov 19 12:36:32 CST 2002

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On November 19, 2002 12:30 pm, Jukka Heinonen wrote:
> > File msdos/vxd.c and files dlls/win32s/* should now be the
> > only files which contain Win32s specific code.
>
> We should just nuke it altogether. As Ulrich explained, it's
> only useful for running the Win32s *subsystem* that came with
> some older apps. Again, that's useful not for the apps, but for
> the silly Win32 MS subsystem. And it's most likely broken anyway.
>
> Now, why anyone do that? What's to gain? It doesn't help anyone,
> it just adds bloat and confusion to the tree. And waists valuable
> developer time. Like yours for dealing with it, or Ulrich for
> explaining, or mine, or anyone following this thread.
>
> And thing is, in 2-3 months people will forget, and this will
> come back to haunt us. And more time will be wasted. And so on.
>
> Just get rid of it, everybody wins.

Heck, that is what I am doing. I just didn't want to deal with
msdos/vxd.c right now because that file contains stuff that doesn't
seem to have anything to do with Win32s and it would require lots
of research to figure out whether that file contains anything worth
saving and what should be done to that stuff (should it be moved
to win32/device.c which contains Win32 VxD stuff?). So, I
thought I would just delete code that I can be sure won't be missed
outside Win32s and not touch those parts that I cannot be certain of.
I just hope someone would volunteer and take care of files msdos/vxd.c,
dlls/win32s/* and int2f/1684 so I don't need to learn VxD programming...

Anyway, nuking Win32s code is really low on my priority list and
I won't be doing anything but trivial patches regarding that until
I get interrupt stuff into a better shape.

--
Jukka Heinonen <http://www.iki.fi/jhei/>