the dreaded rpcss patch (rpc_J_PL0)

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Tue Nov 19 20:19:54 CST 2002

On Monday 18 November 2002 05:48 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> - Don't share C files between rpcrt4 and rpcss, just copy the stuff
>   you need (and at least atomicity.c doesn't seem necessary at all,
>   you could just as well make mutex calls directly).

Still hoping for some guidance on this.  I'm happy to get rid of
atomicity.c as you suggest, but less happy about duplicating the (to be
renamed) named_pipe_kludge_client.c unit.  The prospect of keeping two
identical units in sync just rubs me the wrong way... it's so blatantly
non-orthagonal --- it seems, to me, that there must be a better way.

Previously I suggested

  o shove it in some dll where it doesn't really belong (kernel32?)

  o shove those functions into rpcss_shared.h somehow

A couple of other possibilities have occured to me:

  o create a tiny new internal-only dll, i.e.: "rpcsscli.dll" which
    (so far) just contains the named pipe client functionality, and
    is consumed by both rpcss.exe and rpcrt4.dll

  o put it in a new .h file (probably a slight improvement on the idea
    of shoving it into rpcss_shared.h, since I wouldn't have to worry
    about the functions getting redefined).

Are any of these acceptable?  I know I'm being somewhat anal, but I'd
really prefer not to duplicate that entire unit, even if it is a
relatively small chunck of code in the grand scheme of things...

Thanks,

--
gmt

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things;
the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic
feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much
worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing
to fight; nothing he cares about more than his own
personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no
chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the
exertions of better persons than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill