RFC: console & curses

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Nov 21 01:20:05 CST 2002

Eric Pouech wrote:
> Dan Kegel a écrit :
>
>>Eric wrote:
>>
>>>N2: one could try running wineconsole USER backend with ttydrv instead
>>>of x11drv, but that's out of the scope of this (maybe for Dimi's fun
>>>projects list
>>
>>ttydrv is not as far out as all that.  I use ttydrv now to
>>run commandline windows programs that output to stdout.
>
> ttydrv isn't meant to run CUI programs. ttydrv is a graphical backend to
> gdi (which happens to display on a textual terminal)

Perhaps that's how it is now, but that's not how it
was a year ago... back then, no curses were invoked on
startup, and ttydrv was perfect for commandline programs
on a headless system.

>>I *cannot* use the current Debian wine, because *it uses curses*.
>
> => because ttydrv uses curses, not because wine uses curses
>

>>Please help make wine safe for running commandline programs
>>from the unix shell - let us select 'ttydrv, no curses' easily
>>somehow!
>
> just do wine mypgm
>
> the issue you're having right now is that:
> - wine, at startup, always create a specific task to handle the desktop
> (even just a CUI program is run, but you cannot tell in advance)
> - this requires gdi & user to be loaded
> - you cannot use x11drv if X11 isn't running
> - you cannot use ttydrv because it'll control your terminal
> - therefore, in this case, a null drv would be indeed needed (that
> should't be too hard to build)

Grr.  Maybe I should go look at last year's ttydrv to see how
to do it properly :-)

Actually, what I'd like to see is a way to specify the driver to
use on the wine commandline.  It's bogus to have to have
a separate .wine directory to do that...

- Dan