__int64

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Thu Nov 21 01:47:55 CST 2002

On Thursday 21 November 2002 01:21 am, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> Another header problem. When compiling Putty with Wine's headers,
> I get this errors:
>
> In file included from
> /home/dimi/dev/wine/wine.src/include/msvcrt/wchar.h:12, from
> wcwidth.c:9:
> /home/dimi/dev/wine/wine.src/include/msvcrt/io.h:42: parse error
> before "__int64" /home/dimi/dev/wine/wine.src/include/msvcrt/io.h:42:
> warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
> /home/dimi/dev/wine/wine.src/include/msvcrt/io.h:44: parse error
> before '}' token /home/dimi/dev/wine/wine.src/include/msvcrt/io.h:60:
> parse error before "__int64" ...
>
> Reason is that __int64 is not defined. Now, this happens when I
> compile a file that has only one include:
>
> #include <wchar.h>
>
> As a quick hack, I've added this:
>
> typedef long long      __int64;
>
> to include/msvcrt/sys/types.h, but it doesn't look like the
> right fix. We define __int64 in here:
>
> include/basetsd.h:#define __int64 long long
>
> but why a define and not a typedef? Should we include this file
> from one of the msvcrt header files? I really don't like doing
> that, but than again, I don't know much about the organization
> of our headers, or most importantly, the way MS does it...

probably it is a #define instead of a typedef so that some modifiers
work like "unsigned" or whatever... or does that matter?

they seem to have it in winnt.h as a #define.  They also have it in
basetsd.h, but only for the _WIN64 case!  wierd -- even wierder, AFAICS
they use it before the #define it anyhow, and before any other
#includes in basetsd.h....

so maybe wchar pulls this in via windows.h somehow?  I don't get it
either, maybe there are more places it's #define'd out there that I'm
missing....?

--
gmt

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things;
the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic
feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much
worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing
to fight; nothing he cares about more than his own
personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no
chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the
exertions of better persons than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill