Seperating winelibs from main wine

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Thu Nov 21 07:05:39 CST 2002

Mark Hannessen wrote:

>>A couple of questions - if a program uses Winelib, is it all statically
>>linked or do you still need a wine installation for it to work.
>>

>winelib apps need wine dll functions and are not static compiled.
>so wine is needed to run wine apps

I started writing this mail, and during writing realized that I'm not
sure what I was about to suggest made any sense. This is a question to
the forum, then.

Does it make sense to ask packagers to package Winelib seperately from
wine (obviously, wine needs winelib to run, but that is a piece of cake
for any decent packaging system I know, with the sole exception of the
various windows installers, hint hint)? Does such a request have any
meaning at all?

I realize that you COULD say that the sourcedir/dlls directory's output
should go into winelib, the header into winelib-devel, and the wine
executable, and sourcedir/programs output into the wine package, but I'm
not at all sure that would leave you with a usable winelib package.

Comments, anyone?

            Shachar