RFC: console & curses

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Nov 21 13:58:51 CST 2002

On November 21, 2002 02:47 pm, Eric Pouech wrote:
> various stuff:
> - if another wine console is running on the same terminal

How can it, we're talking about the case when _we_ start up the
console, so there shouldn't be anything on it, no?

> - when a console is started, we have to wait until all wine processes
> attached to it have terminated (on a win32 point of view) before
> restoring the screen and at the same time to exit before the process
> controlling the terminal (read the process which allocated the
> win32-console) dies (from a unix point of view)

This seems complicated... :) But, here's how I look at it:

  1. If we start the program in our console, it makes use of it:
	xterm -e "wine myprog.exe"
     you say it should work just fine.

  2. Now, in the case we start a console program from within Wine
     we do that when we execute:
	CreateProcess("myprog.exe")
     The way I see it is that in fact we're supposed to figure out
     that myprog.exe is a CUI app, and instead execute:
	CreateProcess("wineconsole myporg.exe")
     So, why can't we just do:
	CreateProcess("xterm -e 'wine myprog.exe'")
     instead?

Of course, this is an oversimplification, but this is how the whole
thing looks like from outside, from the user perspective. Why can't
we have this run like this?

--
Dimi.