Overlapped I/O without an hEvent

Ryan Reading ryanr23 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 22 19:11:04 CST 2002

Hi all,

This is a follow-up to the message I wrote a message yesterday with the
subject "Wine and IrDA via Virtual Com Port", although that wasn't a
good subject for the problem.

The software that I have is using Overlapped (asynchronous) I/O for
communication of an IR port.  The software makes WriteFile(),
ReadFile(), and GetOverlappedResult() calls.  However, before making any
of the calls, the software does NOT initialize the hEvent member of the
OVERLAPPED structure that is passed to the functions (it just zeroes the
entire structure).  Apparently the Win32 implementation of this is OK,
but it is pretty obvious that the Wine implementation will not work with
hEvent == 0.

Now, I'm not saying that the Wine implementation is wrong, because based
on the MSDN documentation, that value should be set to a valid event
handle;  however, the behavior is fundamentally different from the
native Win32 environment, which in my case, leads to undesirable
results.  Is this something that I could feasibly fix in Wine, or would
it be better to try to change the implementation of the software?

Does anyone have any experience with this part of Wine?  Thanks.

-- Ryan

01010011 01100101 01110010 01100101 01101110 01100100 01101001 01110000
01101001 01110100 01111001
If only all life was just this simple. :)