Coding standards

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Mon Nov 25 03:22:23 CST 2002

> > 3. Tab size should be around 3 characters. Some prefer 2, some prefer 4,
> > but if the above guidlines are followed this should not change the
> > correctness of rendering.
>
>Sorry, I think this is just plain wrong. Tab was always defined as being 8.
>Any other definition will just make code look like shit. We (the Wine ppl)
>almost never use 8 spaces indentation in the code. And _nobody_ uses just
>tabs to indent code. So all this tab rules simply has no chance in hell
>of working. Moreover, even if they do, they require Wine-specific editor
>settings which is just silly. Many times you edit things in editors you
>either can not control, or are not on your machine, and don't have the
>time and inclination to configure.
>
>Just stick to the standard: tab is 8. No mess, no fuss.

This is more a philosophical topic than a technical so I'm prepared for
flames :)

I think you're exagerating. In our company we too have source guidelines and
they say quite the same what Shachar mentioned. We use tabs for indenting
and the "size" is 4 chars. Tab=8 is maybe standard in text programs for
writing letters or whatever but here we're talking of source file editors. Even
with a normal text editor you can follow these guidelines. And even if you
used spaces there are functions like Space2Tab.
"Use the right tool for the right task" (TM, but not mine) :)

bye  Fabi