Overlapped I/O without an hEvent

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 25 14:45:18 CST 2002

On Monday 25 November 2002 02:05 pm, Eric Pouech wrote:
> Greg Turner a écrit :
> > On Monday 25 November 2002 06:06 am, Martin Wilck wrote:
> > > Am Sam, 2002-11-23 um 02.11 schrieb Ryan Reading:
> > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/
> > >dllp roc/base/getoverlappedresult.asp
> > >
> > > says that for NT/2000,XP, "if the hEvent member of the OVERLAPPED
> > > structure is NULL, the system uses the state of the hFile handle
> > > to signal when the operation has been completed". I doubt that
> > > wine can (easily) support this behavior, but I'm not sure.
> >
> > wth does that mean?  does it mean i can just wait on the file
> > handle as though it were an HEVENT?
>
> I think they refer to this, but I may be wrong
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/kmar
>ch/hh/kmarch/k111_9dte.asp
>
> A+

i.e., "SYNCHRONIZE"?  weird stuff, I wonder if they just conditionally
map file handles to event-objects somewhere in the kernel to achieve
this?

btw, what a nice, svelte API that is!  good thing wine is here to bring
the fun of windows programming to the world of unix -- otherwise
thousands would be deprived of the joy of working with API's like that
one when developing driver-level code.  I guess that API is part of the
NT "microkernel" eh? ;)

--
gmt

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things;
the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic
feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much
worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing
to fight; nothing he cares about more than his own
personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no
chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the
exertions of better persons than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill