Winelib Applications

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Tue Nov 26 09:02:48 CST 2002

On November 26, 2002 04:18 am, Martin Wilck wrote:
> The reasons for Winelib work you give on your page are ok but sort of
> self-referential: They only make sense to people who have already
> accepted as a fact that Winelib is a good thing.

It is meant to be this way. Maybe I haven't made this clear, by my goal
is to improve Winelib, not to port applications to Linux. To that end,
I think it's better to start with applications we know are working under
Wine. Mozilla, Putty, etc. Fall under this category. It's easier to
fight one battle at a time, rather then solve the world problems all at
once. :)

You are correct that the real life reason for using Winelib is to port
parts of applications that are not easily supported through Wine, and
instead mix in some Unix code. But such porting efforts are much more
difficult and extensive than what I have there, and it's purpose is
rather different. In fact, it wouldn't even belong on the page, IMO.

Just to make things a bit clear: my goal is to get enough experience
porting applications to Linux using Winelib (and what better way to
gain said experience other than doing a few ports ourselves), such that
we can understand and fix the Winelib process, and make it trivial for
applications to be ported over. In other words, I'd like to see the
explanation on how to port an app get a lot smaller than it is today.

--
Dimi.