Coding standards

David Laight david at
Wed Nov 27 08:31:48 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:44:49PM +0100, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> is code printing a really common thing for you ?

Not these days, I guess it went out of fashion with screen
editors and terminal with >24 lines.
Also with source files that are larger than a single tree :-)
Actually big source listing only really work on fan-fold paper,
piles of A4 sheets are not the same.
In the old days we printed the source and generated code for
the project - was just over a box of paper (2500 sheets fan-fold).

Since it is actually quite common to use tab to line up things
that are not at the start of a line (eg structure definitions),
you can only look at a file with tabs set to the same column
positions as when it was written.  So 8 columns tabs are good...

(OTOH I have tried to look at unix source files under M$, gave in
and installed netbsd.)

David Laight: david at