Coding standards

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Wed Nov 27 12:04:01 CST 2002

On November 27, 2002 12:45 pm, Medland, Bill wrote:
> which is what I hate.  This is the worst of both worlds.  Either use Tabs
> throughout so that a tab equals an indent and so people can set the tab
> size to whatever they like or else don't use tabs at all and use explicit
> spaces.

And what's so bad about mixing spaces and tabs? Using only tabs is
(1) hard/impossible to enforce, and (2) still suffers from deviation
from the standard. It maybe workable in a company, but not on the
internet.

On the other hand, what's the big deal with mixing tabs and spaces?
What's the big loss as compared to only spaces? This is just trying
to impose (silly) policy on people. As long as we stick to the
standard meaning of tab (which is 8, there's no question about it.
What do you get when you send a file to the printer? Or open it in
a non-customized editor?), there is no need whatsoever to force
people into this or that way. And this without a loss for anyone!

Why do people feel a need to force others into certain way of doing
things, when the end result is the same?!? This is like forcing
people to QWERTY instead of DVORAK... I'm not against standards,
I would actually like if we had more uniform looking code, but this
is really unnecessary, as it serves no purpose.

--
Dimi.