Coding standards

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Wed Nov 27 16:07:34 CST 2002

On November 27, 2002 04:28 pm, Medland, Bill wrote:
> You are right; provided everyone sticks to 8-space tabs then it doesn't
> matter.  But if one only uses spaces then it doesn't matter one way or the
> other.  I merely offer this as a suggestion for people to consider.

Sorry Bill,

It wasn't directed at you (even though I realize now it looked that way).
It was just my daily rant, and when I was writing, I remember an idiot
PHB at a place I worked: on the first day he started he came to me:
  "What environment/editor are people using?" he asked me
  "Whatever they want: some use J Builder, other Emacs, I use vim, etc."
  "Oh, that _has_ to change!" he said immediately
  "Why?" I asked
  "Well, ..., because, ..., we have to have standards!"
  "Why?"
  "Because... eh,... so we don't have anarchy"
  "F*ck off!" I laughed, "Go mind your own business."
But I was in a privileged position then, and I realized how become
engulfed in this myriad of useless standards and procedures all
over the place, yet people miss the important stuff most of the time.

So don't mind me, I just had to get it off my chest. :)))

--
Dimi.