Coding standards

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Wed Nov 27 17:39:24 CST 2002

On November 27, 2002 04:30 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> There are two problems with tabs: one is that no matter how much we
> agree that the tab size is 8, some people do change their editor
> settings and that messes up the code;

Don't get me started! :))) But thinking about it, there is good value
in have the code messed up: it tells the user that their editor has
an incorrect tab value. Otherwise, they can happily edit the file with
a tab setting of 3, insert some tabs, and submit that.

> the other is that it makes diffs
> harder to read because things don't line up properly due to the extra
> char in the first column. It's much better to only use spaces (but I'm
> of course not going to try to enforce that).

I realized that afterwards. In fact, in a private email I mentioned
exactly this problem. I agree that it's better to use only spaces for
these reasons, but in all honesty, I don't really care as long as I
am not forced to define a special value for tab. <g>

--
Dimi.