Missing SignalObjectAndWait

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Nov 27 19:17:18 CST 2002

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> On November 27, 2002 03:44 pm, Francois Gouget wrote:
> > Wine and pthreads don't play well together. You are quite likely to get
> > into trouble if you try to use pthreads from a Winelib application.
>
> I've heard this several times. Now, without looking into the probelm, can't
> we integrate (for Winelib apps) with pthreads, the same way we do with
> glibc locks? Anyone know the issues? Is it impossible, just difficult, or
> simply nobody bothered?

I think that the first problem is that if foo.exe.so links with
libpthread.so, then libpthread.so gets loaded and initialized before
ntdll.dll.so is loaded and overrides the pthread functions in the C
library -> big trouble.

This migh conceivable be worked around using a wrapper like I described
for libmfc.so except this time the wrapper would just load libntdll.so
and the wrapped executable would link with libpthread.so.

Then I guess it should work since threaded opengl libraries are supposed
to work.

But is there really an advantage to using pthread rather than the Win32
threading functions when porting a Windows application? After all one
should not have to change the code when porting with Winelib...

                         Stolen from an Internet user:
              "f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng !"