[RFC] Winelib enhancements (wrc)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Thu Nov 28 13:26:28 CST 2002

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> As for "more along the lines of how Windows does it" is an academic
> issue: all OSS projects coding for Win32 use windres, and they
> compile directly to .o. Keep in mind that windres can be used just
> like wrc (.rc -> .res), but nobody uses it like that.

That was my point. If you replace the .rc.o rule by .rc.res and .res.o
then windres happily builds the .res for you, and it still works on
Windows too. Yes you need to change the link command-line but I don't
think it's that bad.

Generating .o files in the proper format for linking directly is
fairly hard to do cleanly in ELF; wrc actually supports generating C
files, and we used to do it that way, but you need all kinds of tricks
to make them integrate properly in the PE header.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com