Need help interpreting debug log for Wine hard loop

Sean Millichamp sean at compu-aid.net
Fri Oct 4 08:39:08 CDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 18:03, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Sean Millichamp <sean at compu-aid.net> writes:
>
> > Here is what appears to be looping:
> > 08ec96c8:Call USER.109: PEEKMESSAGE(0487:e792,0000,0000,0000,0001) ret=05bf:24ed ds=05d7
> > [...]
> > 08ec96c8:Ret  USER.109: PEEKMESSAGE() retval=0000 ret=05bf:24ed ds=05d7
>
> That's a standard PeekMessage loop. My first guess is that this is the
> application main loop but for some reason the main window didn't get
> displayed, so it doesn't get any messages. Look before the loop for a
> failing CreateWindow or ShowWindow call.

Alexandre, thanks very much for responding.  I took a look through the
relay log again and I found only one CreateWindow call.  It returned
with a value of "1" if I am reading the log correctly.  I'm afraid I
know nothing of the Windows API so I don't know if that means success or
failure.  I have attached the section of the log around that
call/return.

The only mention of ShowWindow in the entire relay log is during a
GetProcAddress call (so it knows where the call was dynamically
loaded?).  That makes sense though since I never actually see any
drawing on the screen.  I'm presuming ShowWindow is the call that
actually displays the window after CreateWindow is done preparing it.

I also went through again and found what I believe is the start of the
USER.109 PEEKMESSAGE() loop.  The first couple of iterations are
slightly different from the others and each other.  After the third time
it just repeats the exact same calls.  I have attached that section up
to the section that just repeats as well.

Is any of this making sense?  I'm sorry that I don't know anything about
the Windows API :(.  If I did I feel like I would be able to get farther
with this on my own.

Thanks,
Sean