Australian Tax Program now working, but WINHLP32.EXE fails

Ben Stanley bds02 at uow.edu.au
Wed Oct 16 08:22:28 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 18:36, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> Most problems are with regard of starting winhelp from another
> application. At present, we don't pass arguments valid in the other process.

My problem is observed by staring winhelp directly from the command line
with the help file to open as the first argument.

> Are you sure, the problem above isn't a pure filehandling problem. Some
> +relay,+dosfs debugmessage consulting should tell about that...

Fairly sure, as the dialog says error while reading the help file.

Running the command line

wine --debugmsg +relay,+dosfs winhlp32.exe etax2002.hlp

was not terribly helpful. It brought up two desktop windows, one with a
Wine debugger and the other with WINE help. The Wine debugger window
shows

Unhandled exception: wait failed on critical section 0x400f9550
(loader_section in libntdll.dll.so)

The WINE help window shows no messages.

Re-running the same command line without --debugmsg brings up a WINE
help window, but no help file and no error message. Trying to open the
help file using file->open yields no error message and no help file.

I'm unable to go any further with this at this time. I'll use the paper
help for now.

Ben.