Known listview bugs (take 2)

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Oct 24 15:00:06 CDT 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Francois Gouget wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > After my latest X-series patches (currently at X6), I am aware
> > of the following listview bugs:
> >
> > Yes, you read correctly: NONE. :)
> >
> > So I ask you for one of two things:
> >   -- bug reports
>
> Here goes! I tested with all patches up to X6 applied. I took WinZip 8.1
> (hopefully easy to get a hold of), opened a big zip file and noticed the
> following things:

Dimitrie O. Paun:
> How did you do that, CVS+X0-6 crashes on startup! Should I waste time
> debugging, or you have a modified tree... :)

Argh! I cheated. I used a slightly older Wine and copied the comctl32
dll there. Today I retested with CVS Wine plus the latest X11 patch and
got it to work by just replacing the shell32 library with an older one.

>  * if I resize the 'Type' column there is a lot of flicker in the first
> column. Now there are some things to be said about that:

That one is fixed by X7 and it still works with X11. The columns are
left aligned :-)

I generated a log of the Winzip 'crash on exit'. You can find it there:
http://fgouget.free.fr/tmp/listview2.log.bz2 (2.7MB)

Also I am getting a crash when I resize the WinZip window:
fixme:listview:LISTVIEW_SetColumnOrderArray iCount 9 lpiArray 0x406828a8
wine: listview.c:1639: LISTVIEW_GetItemOrigin: Assertion `nItem >= 0 && nItem < infoPtr->nItemCount' failed.

Now looking for alternatives to WinZip since it may not be so good for
testing.

>  * on NT4 'PageUp' moves the selection to the first visible item of the
> list. Once on the first visible item of the page it moves us one page
> up, i.e. the selected item becomes the last fully visible item of the
> list. Not sure if this is a listiew issue or a srollbar issue.
>
>  * similarly on NT4 'PageDown' moves the selection to the last _fully_
> visible item of the list. Once on the last _fully_ visible item of the
> list it scrolls one page down, i.e. that item becomes the first visible
> item of the list.
>
>  * when editing an item (e.g. in the Open dialog), the old value of the
> item is not erased and will appear behind the said item. See
> listview2.png. This could almost be considered a feature.

The above three can be reproduced in notepad's open dialog by putting it
in 'Details' mode.

>  * still in the Open dialog, if I click on an item that is not fully
> visible in the right-most column, then the list will scroll to make that
> item visible. However I also get this scrolling for items in the
> right-most column even though all items in that column appear to be
> fully visible. Also, on NT4 I do not get this scrolling so the issue may
> be there or again, it may be the exact behavior changed in later
> comctl32 revisions.

That one can be reproduced in Notepad's open dialog too.

>  * Ctrl+Up/Down Arrow does not seem to work. More precisely, the current
> position of the cursor is not shown in any way although a slight
> flicker gives us a hint that the cursor really is moving..
>
>  * when moving using Ctrl+Up/Down Arrow, space should be (de)selecting
> the current item. That does not seem to work either.

These two can be reproduced by putting the Control Spy listview in
report mode (notepad's open dialog is not suitable because it does not
allow multi-select).

The nice thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing quite respectable
                                  -- Paul Dean