Whats done? not?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Oct 25 05:14:26 CDT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Andreas Mohr wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 06:20:56AM +0000, Christensen Tom wrote:
> >
> > Obviously wine is still being actively developed,
> > and I know its not close to "done" however, I want to get involved, I know
> > C/C++ and have a pretty good grasp of windows apis, I'm just wondering is
> > there a place (kinda like in the Mono project they have a tree laid out
> > with all of the classes/functions that are in the .NET runtime, and they
> > have them marked done, being worked on, not started...)  So I'm wondering
> > if wine has anything similar? or should i just pick a function, and see if
> > its done already by searching through the source?  At any rate, wine should
> > have a nice concise place to look and see if wine has certain functions
> > implimented..
> The About page links to
> http://www.winehq.org/about/index.php?status

The following page is a good starting point too:

http://www.winehq.com/about/index.php?contrib

If there is a specific Windows API area that you know well, then that
would be a good place to start. It will be easier for you to identify
bugs in the Wine implementation and you will have a better grasp of how
to implement things if they are not implemented. Another approach would
be to write conformance tests for this API area. Chances are you will
quickly find bugs in the Wine implementation and you can then either
choose to continue with writing conformance tests or go fix these bugs.

Our you can take the traditional route, i.e. take an application that
you would like to use on Linux and fix any bug you see.

If you like the emulation of working with others you can join one of the
current efforts like the COM/DCOM work or Direct3D. Or if you don't want
to step on anyone's toes you can choose something that nobody seems to
be working on. Lots of posibilities :-)

        It really galls me that most of the computer power in the world
                          is wasted on screen savers.
                     Chris Caldwell from the GIMPS project
                       http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm