How is Win/Dos syscalls implemented in Wine?

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Sat Oct 26 07:13:46 CDT 2002

> Conclusion:
> The ntdll is for wine apps what libc is for Linux/Unix.
> Syscalls is made from ntdll and the native version is never
> run.
mostly (libc contains much more than ntdll does). A closer (yet
incomplete) answer would be libc = ntdll + kernel32 + msvcrt
(most of the win32 apps don't call ntdll in, they call kernel32 or
msvcrt in)

> You are right about the syscalls in Linux, too bad
> theres no protection for it though. It should be, otherwise
> there could appear wine_linux viruses.
well, there could, as well, be pure linux viruses. and, I don't see why
wine should be more protective than the linux kernel is.

> Cant you fix this with ptrace?
no.

A+