License query

Matthew Bloch matthew at bytemark.co.uk
Sat Oct 26 15:22:32 CDT 2002

I'm porting a closed-source game to Linux, and as a stop-gap I'd like to get a
version out using WINE until I can rewrite the Direct(Sound|Draw|3D) backends
with SDL.  After reading this post:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200205/msg02823.html

and then downloading the source from the winehq.com cvs, I'm confused as to my
options.  The LICENSE file implies that the ddraw DLL is transgaming's IP but
the files themselves have LGPL declarations at the top.  In short, am I
within my rights to release a statically linked binary which uses the core
WINE source code, providing I comply with the other terms of the LGPL?  I
notice some files have Transgaming's name on them, but appear to be LGPL.  I
think I'm within my rights, but not sure: the post above gives me most of the
information that explains this state of affairs, but not everything.  Any
further pointers on WINE licensing history would be appreciated.

cheers,

--
Matthew Bloch         Bytemark Computer Consulting Limited
                                http://www.bytemark.co.uk/