Versions & mass-appeal

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Wed Oct 30 08:23:59 CST 2002

On October 30, 2002 09:20 am, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> I don't want to spread the perception that Wine is unsafe - in by far
> almost all cases it's definitely not. But people should keep in mind
> that for every new program that they install, there might still be a bug
> lurking in some rarely used function that this program uses,
> which could in some cases cause some... err... problems with data.

But this is tautology. Wine is no different from any other program.
We had SourceSafe corrupt the entire company reporsiotry (before I
installed CVS) multiple times, and people use it. And believe me,
it's MUCH worse than Wine in corrupting your data.

Single out Wine, and saying it can ANYDAY, ANYTIME corrupt your DATA
is (1) untrue, as a practical matter, (2) helps no one, hurts us badly.
Why say this in a public forum, so clueless Slashdoters can read, and
link to it?

--
Dimi.