Versions & mass-appeal

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Oct 30 16:05:37 CST 2002

    Dimitrie> On October 30, 2002 01:57 am, Ender wrote:
    >> - Many apps do not work without Desktop enabled. This is far worse
    >> than it sounds, because most newbies try managed non-desktop
    >> first. People think WINE should be able to do seemless
    >> intergration. Then when an application hangs, they think it's
    >> incompatible and give up. However in many cases the Application will
    >> work fine in Desktop mode. BAD, these apps should either be made to
    >> work... or non-desktop mode should be removed!

    Dimitrie> IMO desktop mode exists only because our integration is not
    Dimitrie> very good.  It should die sooner, rather than later, it's just
    Dimitrie> a big hack. So we should rather focus on getting apps to work
    Dimitrie> in non-desktop more, rather then resurrecting the silly
    Dimitrie> desktop option.

Well,

my opinion on desktop mode is another one. It's not silly. Two examples:
- any program in non-desktop mode switching to full screen (hey, a lot of
programs like installer do that) and crashing later without a proper setup
of the debugger. No most users are left in a situation they can't easily
solve, as they don't know that they still can switch consoles and kill wine...
- any application poping up endless series of new processes, each process
grabbing keyboard focus. In a good desktop mode  I would expect the real
focus not to switch from the outside to the desktop. As now each process
spawns it's own new desktop, focus is switched anyways.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de