Versions & mass-appeal

Johan Gill johane at lysator.liu.se
Thu Oct 31 07:28:52 CST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> The way I see it, no windows installs of wine should have dll load order
> set to "native, builtin" for all DLLs.
>
> The rational is that, as no DLL originally came from a native windows
> environment, all dlls present in the system are from various installs.
> It was therefor the application's install decision to override the dll
> available at the time of install with a new version. For that to
> properly work, it must be possible to query the builtin DLLs version
> with the APIs available to standard installers, and have the version
> reported for our DLLs be comparable to DLLs of same functionality
> available on Windows. I am not sure where that stands at the moment,
> however.
>                 Shachar

I'm not sure that we are talking about the same thing here...
Just to be safe, what I mean is that if I want to run an application which
has its own *non-system* dlls I have to tell wine to load them natively,
or they won't get loaded at all. If you meant the same thing as I did,
I need some reading practice.

/Johan Gill, johane at lysator.liu.se