GetComputerName() question

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Thu Oct 31 10:28:13 CST 2002

Martin Wilck <Martin.Wilck at Fujitsu-Siemens.com> writes:

> I'd propose: If the registry contains an explicit ComputerName entry,
> use it as Netbios name; otherwise, use the Unix hostname. This would
> affect only the users that enter a Netbios name in their registry, and
> thus not those with changing host names that you're worried about.

This works for GetComputerName(), but not for apps that look directly
in the registry. This is why we need to put something in there. I'm
still not sure what your problem is, apart from it being an FQDN. Why
wouldn't it work to set the registry from the hostname on startup?  Do
you really need a NetBIOS name different from the hostname?

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com