So lets say we do it

chrismorgan at rcn.com chrismorgan at rcn.com
Thu Oct 31 10:47:09 CST 2002

> From: Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.com>
> Date: 2002/10/31 Thu AM 11:24:28 EST
> To: dpaun at rogers.com
> CC: Wine Devel <wine-devel at winehq.com>
> Subject: Re: So lets say we do it
>
> "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:
>
> > So the 5% left, install wine, install a Win-app, and play around.
> > Great, it works!
>
> You forgot a few things here:
>
> First it doesn't even start because they don't have a config file. OK,
> they copy one from somewhere, it doesn't work because the drives are
> wrong. Then they don't have the proper registry (winedefault.reg?
> what's that?)

I was going to reply yesterday on this issue. I help a fair amount of people on irc that have config problems and there are a few things we should probably do to fix this.

1. Check the wine config on startup.  If the config is missing or incorrect then launch a gui config app to fix things.  It would be best if this tool had two user options, one for an Automatic setup and another for an Expert setup.  We do a good job with wineinstall so I don't have much doubt that we could automate the config and satisfy 80%+ of users.

2. Make it easier for users to modify their configs via a gui tool.

3. Straighten out how packages(RPM, deb, etc) setup wine's config.  I'm not even sure how this is done right now and LOTS of people come asking for help saying they have installed an RPM version of wine but don't know how to configure it.  This might be completely solved by #1.

Chris