Debugging advice

Michael Wetherell mike.wetherell at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 31 13:52:14 CST 2002

On Thursday 31 October 2002 1:53 am, Matthew Bloch wrote:
> Okay, but presumably it's easier (as in not impossible!) for me to debug a
> program with GDB if I'm using a elf binary as opposed to a PE binary, which
> is mostly my object here.

gdb does have support for PEs (since there are Windows versions of gdb). Unix
builds don't usually have it compiled in, though you only need to change one
line of the gdb souce to enable it, see:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=6xUt8.14322%24sL6.2032145%40news11-gui.server.ntli.net

gdb doesn't support any of the debugging formats used by MS tools, but you
can instead compile your program with a version of gcc that targets Win32
(some GNU/LInux distros have mingw32 as a package).

I made some notes about debugging threads this way here:
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/06/0051.html

Alternatively, Eric Pouech made a gdb remote stub out of winedbg, see:
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-patches/2002/07/0080.html
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-patches/2002/07/0081.html