Wine 0.8 TODO v0.1

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Oct 31 16:38:10 CST 2002

This is the initial TODO for Wine 0.8.

I know, 0.8 has been released before, but that's ancient history.
Whether or not it gets released with this version number is
irrelevant. In fact, even if it never becomes a public release,
it is an important point to reach toward 0.9, and so if we
complete this work, it would have solved its purpose.

Now, again, what I mean by 0.8:
  -- Users can start using Wine
	-- works well for a fair number of apps
	-- no MS DLLs required (from real Windows)
  -- User facing stuff (website, docs, etc.) are in
	a decent state, to avoid scaring them away
What is NOT in 0.8:
  -- stable server protocol: no binary compatibility
  -- DLL separation: ditto

That being said, this is my initial list. Comments,
flames, suggestions, are appreciated.

A. WineHQ work
  0. Reorganize a bit the navigational menu
  1. Add a screenshot link to the homepage
  2. Create some really sexy screenshots
  3. Rework the FAQ interface
     (static HTML, a la http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html,
      all on one page, with a clickable question list at the top)
  4. Enlist some 'official' distribution maintainers
     (at the minimum RedHat, Suse, UnitedLinux, Debian)
  5. Create nice page with apps that run virtually flawless
     They should not require MS dlls, tricks, etc. to run
     Small explanation, screeshot, optional link to download
     page, such as Tucows.

B. Documentation work
  Andy, take it away! :)

C. Wine configuration
  0. Merge configuration into the registry
  1. Write control panel applets for editing it
  2. Have decent defaults so we can start control panel
     without prior configuration
  3. Have wizard like app to autoconfigure wine (?)
  4. Make Wine's DLLs register themselves to avoid
     manual merging of the winedefault.reg
  5. Write .inf script to setup a new Wine installation

D. Stabilize utilities
  0. Get rid of the init directive from .spec files
  1. Make sure the .spec file format is fairly stable
  2. Ensure the various utilities' options are stable

E. Important fixes
  Alexandre, what to you see here?

--
Dimi.