Wine 0.8 TODO v0.1

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Oct 31 22:56:30 CST 2002

On October 31, 2002 06:02 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:
> >   -- Users can start using Wine
> > 	-- works well for a fair number of apps
> > 	-- no MS DLLs required (from real Windows)
>
> That alone should take a couple of years <g>

Oh, what next, Murphy was an optimist?!? :)))

If we run 20 of the top 50 downloads from Tucows, we're
doing good. I don't think we're that far off. Carlos,
you we were doing some tests, care to look into this one?

> > What is NOT in 0.8:
> >   -- stable server protocol: no binary compatibility
> >   -- DLL separation: ditto
>
> IMO the goals for 0.9 will be reached before the ones for 0.8 so you
> might as well put everything together...

Maybe so, you know this better. But 0.9 needs what's listed
here anyhow, if we hit the 0.9 targets before, no harm's done.
I am not that optimistic about the DLL separation. The x11drv
is a bit of a mess, as we have a WND structure maintained by
USER, which x11drv needs access to. It needs work. And in
general, the separation work that's left is not trivial,
and you seem to be the only one qualified to do it. And you
are one busy guy...

> > D. Stabilize utilities
> >   0. Get rid of the init directive from .spec files
>
> This requires dll separation...

Well, the init directive stuff is not really mandatory for
the goals of 0.8. I just put it here since you said you're
working on some linker hacks to get this working before
we have proper DLL separation. If we can get it soon, great
(as people don't react nicely to format changes), if not,
it belongs in the 0.9 list.

> > E. Important fixes
> >   Alexandre, what to you see here?
>
> I think the window management stuff is important, otherwise you can't
> install most apps without using desktop mode. But it's already in the
> 0.9 goals (and I'm working on it).

Good to know. Indeed, I would say this is a requirement for 0.8 (as
defined above).

--
Dimi.