current wine status pr-1

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Tue Sep 3 10:17:00 CDT 2002

Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

>Now, talking about 100% complete, we should define a little
>better what we mean by this percentage. I suggest that it
>estimates the completeness of *documented* features,
>since the undocumented ones are simply gagable. This being
>said, a component reaches 100% complete status when
>it implements all documented features.

I slightly disagree. 100% should, indeed, mean "everything is
implemented". 80%, however, should not mean "80% of the functions are
implemented". If anything, it should mean "80% of the functionality is
implemented". I also think that this should be scaled according to how
frequent a certain function is called. For example, a function that
requires months of work to implement, but is only used by 1% of the
programs, cannot drop the support precentage by 80%, even if it is that
amount of work.

"95% of the job requires 5% of the work", also known as the 95/5 rule.

                Shachar