patches policy

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Sep 9 13:39:29 CDT 2002

Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:
> --- "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>There is something concerning submitting patches
>>that bothers me
>>to no end: inlining vs. attaching them.
>
> [skipped]
>
> I have to attach the patches :-( because I use Yahoo
> online mail client and it wraps long lines.
> I also usually compress patches with size >= 20-30kb
> to save everybody's bandwith.
>
> It is good idea to add these recommendations to the
> Starter's guide, even if we are not going to enforce
> them.

I think attachments are okay, as long as they are plain text. They do
show up inline. The only problems for me are when the attachments are
encoded, or when the attachment is identified as other than plain text
(for example, those posted by PS). I think most email programs should be
able to be configured to identify .diff files as plain text.