patches policy

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at
Mon Sep 9 13:45:56 CDT 2002

On September 9, 2002 02:38 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> I think we should try to follow the network rule: be conservative in
> what you send and liberal in what you accept.

That's a good point. In fact, I wasn't that serious when I suggested
making this a hard and fast rule, as I am aware of the dangers.
I was thinking more in terms of *strongly* desired set of rules, rather
then absolute. And applying more so to usual contributors, rather
then the occasional one.

> I do admit that it would be nice if frequent contributors could get
> into the habit of making patches that are easier to read and apply.
> I'll also note that I tend to deal first with patches that don't
> require me to do MIME gymnastics, so these are less likely to end up
> getting forgotten. Maybe that could provide some motivation...

Maybe accept the patch, but send a reply to the author asking to
follow the rules, if possible? There are some cases where we have
to make exceptions, but most people should be able to follow them...