winebuild & (name, heap, init)

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Wed Sep 11 09:23:25 CDT 2002

> On September 11, 2002 05:48 am, Francois Gouget wrote:
> > Hmm, for strings the spec files currently distinguish between input
> > strings (str) and output strings (ptr). This cannot be
> extracted from
> > the source files... unless we start using IN/OUT macros everywhere?
>
> It's all in the types, dude...
>
> LPCSTR/LPCWSTR = IN, LPSTR/LPWSTR=IN/OUT.

The is almost always correct. Unfortunately Microsoft is
not consequent in the regard, but then I guess that we could
modify the API slightly. If a WineLib application breaks,
it was in some meaning broken anyway.

However how do know whether it is IN/OUT or OUT?
For debug messages that is quite important since
the pointer in the OUT case might point to
uninitialized memory which shouldn't be printed
in the debug output...