Direct3D v8 and Xbox Linux

Roland roland at netquant.com.br
Thu Sep 12 11:48:21 CDT 2002

At 10:04 PM 11/9/02 +0200, Lionel Ulmer wrote:
> > Well, Linux already runs on the Xbox, and the Xbox uses Direct3D. I
> suppose
> > that there will be some hackers interested in writing Linux games to
> run on
> > the Xbox, so it might be a good idea to join efforts, or to find some
> other
> > programmers also interested in helping out implementing Direct3D in Wine.
>
>I really do not understand your way of thinking... We are NOT implementing
>Direct3D support in Wine to encourage people to use this API (they should
>use OpenGL) but only to enable people to play existing Windows games on
>Linux.
>
>Care to enlighten me as to how Direct3D support in Wine would help them ?

I don't understand that much myself, so feel free to correct me. AFAIK the
whole graphics system of the XBox look like this:

D3D -> Hardwaredrivers -> Proprietary graphic hardware.

If we manage to make a D3D implementation we can make them run games on Xbox.
Also keep in mind, that maybe some folks would like to run Windows games on
Xbox. That would be possible if they have Wine + d3d running on Xbox Linux.

Roland