Direct3D v8 and Xbox Linux

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Sep 12 16:02:44 CDT 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Igor Izyumin wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 September 2002 09:06 am, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> > On September 11, 2002 09:49 am, Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:
> > > Completely agree - the advocacy of the project is very
> > > needed. We should target not only Linux developers,
> > > but also Windows developers.
> >
> > In fact, I think it's the Windows users that we need to worry
> > about since: (1) 90% of Wine develeopment is done in Win32, and
> > (2) they are the most likely to need Wine.
>
> Is there a good HOWTO or FAQ about how to add functionality to Wine / how
> everything fits together?  Does one need to be an experienced programmer to
> add stuff to Wine/fix bugs, or can a relative beginner do it?  Where does one
> start?

One good place to start is over there:
http://www.winehq.com/about/index.php?contrib

This lists items that you can help Wine with. For the development side
it references 3 Bugzilla tasklists and in particular the Tasklets one
which lists things that should be easy to get into for someone new to
Wine.

So whether you need to be an experienced programmer to add stuff to Wine
really depends on the problem you want to tackle. But you can contribute
to Wine in very meaningful ways even if you are not an experienced
programmer, or not a programmer at all. One of the things I'm doing is
updating this page to provide better descriptions of these other
tasks.

> I think there should be a webpage answering at least some of these questions,
> _directly_.

There is: the above web page. Unfortunately it is really buried and
non-obvious to find. Does anyone feel like reorganizing the web site so
that this page is more prominent? I feel very much like it but I'm not
familiar with PHP and don't have enough free time to start a big
reorganization.

                           La terre est une bêta...