recognize Unix-style hidden files

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Fri Sep 13 16:58:29 CDT 2002

On September 13, 2002 05:38 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> I don't think I agree with that. Maybe in the days of 8.3 files yes,
> but nowadays Windows apps can create files starting with a dot, and
> they don't expect these files to be hidden.

Yes, they can create, but they rarely, if ever, do so.

> Also hidden files are much harder to access under Windows than dot
> files under Unix, so I'm not sure it would really be better for the user.

But we're putting the carriage before the horse here.
Indeed, we have a potential problem of Windows app creating
hidden files. In real life, I've never seen it happen, simply
because the users are not used to that sort of thing.

On the other hand, we have a real problem: we run Wine on Unix,
and in this environment, people *expect* to not see dot-files
all over the place. Programs expect that too, so everybody and
their brother create dot files and directories like there's no
tomorrow. So when you use Wine in this environment, it seems
strange, alien, and quite aggravating.

So we have a problem. I, as a _user_, sure want the ability to
turn the dot files into hidden files. Current behaviour bothers
me to no end, and I'll bet you a dollar in small change I'm not
alone. So maybe you want to make this configurable, but who is
gonna turn it off?

Non expert users never mess with dot files. Expert users can use
a native editor to do so. Let's not sacrifice a feature that will
benefit 99% of the users, for the 1% of them that are gonna use
it _maybe_ 1% of the time.

--
Dimi.