recognize Unix-style hidden files

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Fri Sep 13 21:48:26 CDT 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> On September 13, 2002 08:12 pm, Francois Gouget wrote:
> >
> > What you want is not so much to have files starting with a '.' to have
> > the hidden DOS file attribute set, but not to see them in open dialogs.
> Of course I though about this, but it's not gonna cut it. There are bunch
> of programs (FTP programs, etc.) which display directories in some way.
> Doing it at the common dialog level is too high.

Note that on Windows the common dialog 'Open dialogs' show hidden files.
More precisely that's how I have them configured on my system. I don't
know what Wine does in this regard, but if it currently really hides
hidden file, then that would be another option to add.

Francois Gouget         fgouget at
        It really galls me that most of the computer power in the world
                          is wasted on screen savers.
                     Chris Caldwell from the GIMPS project